June 26, 2008

A Grateful People, in Their Individual Joy

Dayam, the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is an individual right. And all the worlds in all the universes were saved, or so many seem to feel on this frabjous day. I know, I know: historic, first time the Supremes said it, yeah, I get it. I said it was a frabjous day. Whaddayouse want from me?

The Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures is an individual right. And we know what that's worth. Yeah, baby.

Given prevailing notions of statecraft, to recognize that a right is an individual one tells you nothing. It should also be observed that only individual rights exist, unless you believe in the "right" of 51% of the population to enslave the remaining 49%. That's not a right: that's power. Not the same. In any event, almost everyone believes that you have x, y and z individual rights -- until and unless they are trumped by some other consideration. That other consideration inevitably is tied to some claim relating to the "public welfare," the "public good," the public this, that and the other thing. Who is this all-powerful public anyway? Is it you? Assuredly not, after all it's your individual right that's about to be trumped. And who determines who's a member of this public that will define the limits of your not-so-inviolable individual rights? Why, those members of the public who happen to be in some branch of the government -- which is to say, the state will define the limits of your liberty.

Who's gonna win that battle, your individual right or the state? Hmm?

Dream of a stateless world. Don't vote.

Live dangerously. Dare to dare.

Callooh! Callay!